Thursday, July 22, 2021 / by Shane Kilby
Is now a good time to buy or sell a home? Find out in this market update for July.
Conditions in our North Alabama market are extremely volatile right now, especially for buyers. It’s still a great time to purchase a home, thanks to low interest rates, but there’s a lot of competition among buyers due to incredibly low levels of inventory.
Today we’ll be taking a look at our current market in order to give you an idea of what you can expect as a buyer or seller. For your convenience, I’ve included timestamps for today’s video topic. Feel free to navigate to the section(s) you’re most interested in viewing:
(00:13) — Introduction to what our current market looks like
(00:41) — It’s a good time to speak with an agent and figure out a buying strategy
(01:24) — Inventory is incredibly low right now
(02:15) — Buyers are confident in the market
(03:09) — Mortgage rates are at all-time-low numbers
Friday, June 25, 2021 / by Shane Kilby
Here’s a brief overview of how to get into the real estate business.
What does it take to get your real estate license and become a successful real estate entrepreneur?
To answer that question, you need to ask yourself how many hours per week you can commit to real estate. Is it going to be a full-time or part-time career path? The hours it takes to become a successful real estate agent are determined by the work ethic of the individual. In other words, success in real estate isn’t determined by how many hours you spend doing real estate—it’s determined by what you do in the hours you’ve devoted to real estate.
Once you’ve decided whether to be a full-time or part-time agent and know how many hours per week you can dedicate to your real estate practice, it’s time to get your license. The first step to doing this is taking a pre-license course, which is a 60-hour course you can take in person or online. Once you’ve. ...
Tuesday, June 1, 2021 / by Shane Kilby
An escalation clause is a great way to win the home you want.
Now that the selling season is in full swing and we’re in such a hot market, many buyers are asking my team and me what they can do to be more competitive with so few homes available. If you’re asking yourself the same thing, one thing you can do is use an escalation clause.
Typically, you make an offer on a property that encompasses whatever you’re willing to pay for it (the highest and best you can). If you add an escalation clause to your offer, you’re saying you’re willing to pay above other offers to get the property. When you structure your offer with an escalation clause, you have to determine which increment your offer will increase above competing offers.
"An escalation clause is a great way to leverage your offer to be competitive in this hot market."
Let’s say, for example, you make an offer of $250,000 for a property and your escalation clause s; ...
Friday, May 14, 2021 / by Shane Kilby
Home improvements don’t have to cost you a fortune.
You may be aware that home improvements can bring a lot of value to your home. However, not all renovations will bring you the same return on your investment. If you’re looking to make some improvements in order to get top dollar on your home, you’re in the right place. Today we’ll be talking about the best, most cost-effective investments you can make when improving your property:
1. Landscaping. Your first impression means everything, and having a well-maintained lawn and garden area can get buyers excited. Landscaping is flexible as well—you can spend as much or as little as you want, depending on how hands-on you want to get. If you want to save some money, skip the professional services and turn it into a weekend project.
2. Kitchens and bathrooms. Buyers are always looking for kitchens and bathrooms with up-to-date looks. You can invest in new flooring, wall coverings, counters, cabinets, h; ...
Tuesday, May 4, 2021 / by Shane Kilby
These three tips will set you up for success in our market.
Whether you’re planning to buy or sell, here are a few tips to set yourself up for success in today’s real estate market:
1. Make a plan. Let’s form a plan that accommodates your current situation. You can achieve this by working closely in conjunction with your trusted real estate advisor.
2. Get your financing in order. This can also be accomplished by working with a lender; if you don’t have one selected, now is the time to shop rates and gain a deep understanding of your purchasing power. For sellers, this is when you can sit down with your real estate advisor and compare notes on your net sheet, which will show your expected net proceeds and better prepare you to meet with a lender.
3. Move quickly. Whether you’re a buyer or seller, you need to be ready to act quickly in this market. Sellers need to be prepared to show their homes at a moment’s notice, so the inside of t ...